COVID-19 Procedures: All business with the Commission should be through electronic filing systems, email, or by telephone. For public health safety, in-person visits to SCC offices are suspended. Filings or other deliveries are permitted by drop off at main entrance. On-site staff is minimal and processing of such deliveries may be delayed.
Information & Enrollment
Virginians can continue to shop, enroll in, or change plans at Healthcare.gov. Cost savings are now available. For details on the American Rescue Plan please see this FAQ (English, Spanish). Visit CoverVA to find free personalized help with enrollment from local assisters. Small business health insurance is also available. Details about the Virginia Health Benefit Exchange can be found in our FAQ (English, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese).If you are currently enrolled, you will get two letters by November 1st – one from your current insurance company and one from the Marketplace. Together they will explain:
- Your 2022 coverage status
- Which plan you will be enrolled in or matched with if you don’t select a change by December 15th
- Any changes in your coverage and financial help
- Directions if you need to send the Marketplace any documents.
Important reminders for open enrollment:
- New plans and new carriers may be available in your area
- Update your application with your expected income and household information and compare your current plan to what’s available for 2022. Savings are based on your expected income for 2022 (not 2021).
- Review your account now to make the right choice for you - if you do nothing you may be automatically re-enrolled.
Free translation services are available. Call the Exchange hotline at 1-833-740-1364 or the Marketplace at Healthcare.gov at 1-800-318-2596 for assistance. Español - CuidadoDesalud.gov and CubreVirginia.
Your input about the Virginia Exchange is important. We want to hear from you! Public comments may be sent to Stakeholderfeedback@scc.virginia.gov.
- Availability of free or low-cost plans
- Doctors and hospitals covered under available plans
- Eligibility to get or change coverage
- Low Cost Health Insurance Guidance
- Plans and prices in your area and quality ratings
- Tips on picking a plan
- Rate changes and medical loss ratios
- Appeal a Marketplace decision.
- Appeal a SHOP decision.
- File a SHOP employee complaint.
- File a complaint or discuss an issue with a Bureau of Insurance Consumer Services Representative.
- Appeal an adverse decision with the Office of the Managed Care Ombudsman.
- Check qualifications for an External Review.
SHOP plans are options for small employers to provide health and/or dental insurance to their employees. Visit the Bureau of Insurance for a list of companies that offer SHOP plans. Visit the Federally-facilitated SHOP for resources on SHOP coverage. Details about the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) can be found in our FAQ (English, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese).
Navigators, CDOs, CACs, Agents, and Brokers can visit the assisters section of our Health Benefit Exchange page for information on compliance, standards, and training. Call 804-371-9631 or email Assisterprograms@scc.virginia.gov with any questions.
View the ACA Rate and Form Filing Information page for guidance around filing requirements, timelines, and product checklists.Carriers new to Virginia are encouraged to view the application information. Call 1-800-552-7945 or email BureauOfInsurance@scc.virginia.gov with any questions.