COVID-19 Procedures: All business with the Commission should be through electronic filing systems, email, or by telephone. For public health safety, in-person visits to SCC offices are suspended. Filings or other deliveries are permitted by drop off at main entrance. On-site staff is minimal and processing of such deliveries may be delayed.
Annual License Renewal and Financial Filing Submission Portal
Annual renewal notifications are e-mailed to all companies in December each year.
All alien and foreign companies, community-based continuing care providers (CBCCs), continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs), multiple employer welfare arrangements (MEWAs), premium finance companies (PFs), purchasing groups (PGs), risk retention groups (RRGs), surplus lines insurers (SLs), and viatical settlement providers (VPs) MUST submit eligible documents electronically through the Annual License Renewal and Financial Filing Submission Portal.
MEWAs and PGs must complete an annual renewal report electronically using the Annual Renewal link. The completed report must be submitted through the Annual License Renewal and Financial Filing Submission Portal.
Insurers, health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and dental plan organizations (DPOs) that are domiciled in Virginia must continue to submit a hard copy of their annual and quarterly statements. Other renewal documents should be submitted through the portal unless otherwise instructed in the portal or on the specific document. These filings should also be submitted to the NAIC via electronic media in accordance with due dates established by the NAIC.
All accredited reinsurers, alien and foreign companies that file their NAIC annual statement blank and related supplements with the NAIC are exempt from filing a hard copy of these documents with the Bureau. These filings should be submitted to the NAIC via electronic media in accordance with due dates established by the NAIC.
A "Submit" button is presented if the document is eligible for electronic submission. If there is no "Submit" button presented, then documents should be sent by mail to this Office or to where specified in the portal or on the related form or checklist. In addition, companies should review FAQs regarding the submission portal.
At this time, the following company types are not eligible to file documents through the portal: Municipal Liability Pools and Workers Compensation Group Self-Insurers.
NAIC Financial Standard State Filing Checklists for filings due in 2021
Checklists are available in HTML format. Each checklist includes links to appropriate forms. Hyperlinks in the NAIC checklist pages use pop-ups. If you would like to read detailed information regarding checklist items, please enable pop-ups in your browser. If you wish to print the checklist(s), we recommend setting left and right margins to 0.35 inches or selecting landscape orientation.
Please select the company type from the below list to get the appropriate checklist.
- Health Organizations
- Life, Accident and Health/Fraternal Benefit Societies
- Property and Casualty
Virginia Specific Financial and License Renewal Forms
Annual statement and quarterly filings for Virginia domestic companies must be submitted to P.O. Box 1157, Richmond, VA 23218 or by messenger, 1300 East Main Street, 6th Floor, Richmond, VA 23219. All other forms should be submitted via the Annual License Renewal and Financial Filing Submission Portal. PLEASE DO NOT SEND RENEWAL FORMS TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE REVENUE MANAGEMENT DIVISION OF THE BUREAU OF INSURANCE.
All Forms in Alphabetical Order:
Please note: You must have Acrobat Reader Version 7.0 in order to open and complete the forms.
- Analysis of Excess Capital and Surplus Investments Report [Form R01]
- Application for Renewal of License [Form R2A]
- Audited Financial Statements Exemption Affidavit [Form R03]
- CBCC and CCRC Demographic Information Form [Form R20]
- Certificate of Assuming Insurer [Form R05] This certificate is required only from Accredited, Substantially Similar, and Trusteed Reinsurers
- Certificate of Assuming Insurer Quarterly Update [Form R05Q] This certificate is required only from Accredited, Substantially Similar, and Trusteed Reinsurers
- Certificate of Certified Reinsurer [Form R15] This certificate is only required from Certified Reinsurers
- Costs of HMO's Indemnification and Nonparticipating Referral Provider Arrangements [Form R06]
- MEWA Policy Verification [Form R19]
- MEWA Renewal
- PG Annual Renewal
- Premium Finance Annual Statement Form
- Producer-Controlled Insurer Report [Form R08]
- Reinsurance Intermediary License Renewal Application
- Report of Assessable Ocean & Inland Marine Premium [Form R09]
- Report of Assets Pledged, Hypothecated or Encumbered [Form R10]
- Request for Information Regarding Reinsurance Intermediaries (RIs) [Form R12]
- Statement of Material Changes [Form R13]
- Supplementary Statement of Covered and Uncovered Expenses [Form R14]
- Surplus Lines Annual Filing Information [Form R16]